Our Valentine’s was so happy! In the morning we surprised the kids with their mailboxes from last year stuffed with candy from their Meme and Papa. We made heart shaped pancakes and drank orange juice…and of course I let them eat some of their candy!
For our date we had an impromptu photo shoot and then we went shopping for a bit (which I LOVE to do on date nights because it’s the one chance I have to shop without the kids!)…and then we went to dinner. Matt had been telling me about a place called Seabirds, so we finally went. There are some little wood porch swings just outside of the restuarant, so we sat together and swung on those until our name was called.
We ordered the butternut squash enchiladas…which is the whole reason we went there in the first place because Matt has been telling me about them for months! If I’m honest I wasn’t too excited about it, but I do completley trust him with ordering my food so I just went along with it. When the food came to our table I sort of crinkled my nose and shrugged my shoulders thinking it didn’t look as amazing as he was describing it…cuz seriously, he just keeps talking about these enchiladas…I think I expected fireworks to come out of the plate with how much he seemed to like them…
He just kept smirking at me though, not saying a word…until I took my first bite. Oh my gosh, I was wrong and he was SO right. If you are ever in Orange County and you need an idea of some good food…go to Seabirds and order the Butternut Squash Enchiladas!!!! You will not regret it! I promise!!!
After dinner we went to a small diner for dessert. Even though they had apparently just closed they welcomed us in anyway and the kitchen staff agreed to stay open late to let us hang out. We ate a fudge brownie and sat and talked until the place shut down.
It was such a great Valentine’s day!!!
Oh…and just so you don’t go thinking the entire day was just perfection here’s a short list of things that didn’t go right so I can keep things “real” for ya!!!
- I had forgotten to get candy for my kids and was completely releived that Matt’s parents had sent some for me to put into their mailboxes!
- I was so tired the night before that I didn’t want to set up the table…so on Valentine’s morning I asked Matt to keep everyone upstairs so I could get it all ready to “surprise” them!
- We made huge, special heart-shaped pancakes for everyone only to have them say they wanted small tiny round ones.
- At the gym one of my boys thought it would a good idea to crawl into a play kitchen set, while another one of my sons tried to lean it over on top of the boy inside…the gym worker ’bout had a heart attack and was so scared one of them would get hurt…so proud boys…momma is so proud.
- I ran out of time after my shower, so I had to go pick up my kinder kiddo with soaking wet hair in sweat pants and slippers.
- After dinner we thought about going to the Melting Pot for dessert…seemed like a great idea…but when we walked in the restaurant smelled SO bad!!!!! I think a ton of Valentine dates must have ordered the seafood option because it just smelled like steamy raw fish…was NOT what we had in mind at all.
- When we were in Melting Pot for those few moments…just as we were leaving…we walked past a couple on a date. She was wearing an extremely low cut dress (down to her belly button) and one side of it was NOT in the correct spot…poor thing was completely exposed and her date did not tell her.
- Two of my kids were STILL awake when we got home! ughhh…they were really working our sitter.
Happy Valentines Day everyone! I’d love to know what everyone else did!